Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Best Friends, am I the only one who thinks they are overrated?


The words "best friend" are used too loosely these days. When I was a kid I had a best friend. She lived in my neighborhood, rode my bus, and was kinda like a big sister to me. We talked about when we got married how we would be each others maid of honor, and our kids (if we had them) would be ring bearers and flower girls. We had sleep overs, and shared secrets, you know typical best friend stuff. When my mom passed away I had to move 700 miles away and though that would be the end of my best friendship. But we would talk at least once a month & it was like we hadn't missed a day. Whenever I came back, we would hang out the entire time.
When I finally moved back to my home state, I knew we would be inseparable. We were for a while but she graduated a year before me, so she had a lot going on with college. We still talked everyday though so it was ok. When I got engaged, she was one of the first ones I called. We squealed and jumped up & down, just like on the movies. She started planning the bridal shower, and helped me shop for everything. Then I got pregnant (yes before I got married, don't judge), again she was the first one I called. And again we squealed and jumped up & down. Now she was helping me plan for a new baby too. It was awesome, I had the man of my dreams (or so I thought, I of course divorced him later), a perfect baby girl, and a best friend to share all of this with. 
She was Maid of Honor just like we had talked about as kids, and I was so excited to have her stand next to me on my special day. When I left my now ex husband she was the first one I called. She let me cry on her shoulder, and assured me I had done the right thing. She was always there for me. So when she called me to tell me she wanted me to meet her new boyfriend I was ecstatic. Yay, Its my turn to do all the things she had already done for me. By now I have been divorced, met a new man, and had another baby. I was happy and she had been a part of all of it, I wanted to return the favor.
We met up at one of the McDonald's PlayPlaces so the kiddies could play & the adults could visit. My new husband was way different than my friends boyfriend, but I thought the meet & greet went well. That was until she called me to tell me was engaged. I started squealing and jumping up & down, until I realized I was the only one doing it. She was silent on the other end of the phone. I said so when does planning start, I cant wait to be your maid of Honor, and my babies be the ring bearer & flower girl. That's when she said, " You, nor your kids are in the wedding" THUD!!! That was the sound my heart made when it fell through my ass! Are you kidding me? What the hell happened to our best friendship? She never did explain to me what happened and I haven't heard from her since, that was back in 2004. I am friends with her sister on Facebook, and in real life. So I know she went through with the wedding and has had 2 babies since then. I have nothing but happy thoughts for her, but I have never taken the words best friend seriously since.
I have had a few friends that came close to that. We were friends, did everything together, told secrets, hung out. What most people would think of as best friend stuff, but, it wasn't the same. Once life got a hold of them I became a thing of the past. They had other friends, best friends, that they have had since childhood. So I wasn't too disappointed that I didn't replace those besties.
Now I want to clarify, all the "best friends" that have broken up with me, did so on their own. I did not in any way contribute to their decision. If I had it would have been to plead my case as to why I'm the best, best friend anyone could have.
Why is it that guys can keep the same best friends through life? My husband has had his best friend since they were 3. This guy was the best man at our wedding & is the godfather to my children. His other best friend is his music partner, and well, lets just say they give Bromancing a face. Its sick, and sad for me. I want that with someone that is my age, and understands the things I go through as a wife and mother..
Until I find that person I will continue to call my mother-in-law and my husband my best friends. I know everyone who is married considers their spouse as their best friend, but how many can say their mother-in-law is as well? That women has been through more with me than most of my blood family, and for that she is my bestie. If I never find "The One" Ill be ok with that because she is the coolest old bitty I know.
BTW I'm taking applications for the best friend spot, you know just in case something happens & she decides she doesn't want to be my best friend anymore. It seems to happen to me a lot, so I would like to have a back up.

2 comments:

  1. I lost my best friend the day your mom died. I haven't let anyone that close again. I don't know if I could live through another loss like Her. I understand your feelings about best friends. Its good your hubby is right up there, mine is too. I think your up there on my list too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are definetly on the top too. Even after all our disagreements, you never gave up on me completely. You are the closest thing to a mom that I have had since I lost her. For that I love you!

    ReplyDelete